These recommendations are based on research, science and actual experience with horses for best results. Please contact your veterinarian for more advise on changing feed rations for your horses.
- We recommend feeding the seeds dry. Allow the seeds to absorb water in the digestive tract. As they expand, the soft fiber does incredible work.
- Mixing Chia seeds with 1 cup PRE-SOAKED grass or alfalfa pellets makes a tasty "cereal" that horses enjoy.
- Chia can be safely fed everyday. We recommend feeding daily 5 to 7 days/week.
- Feed 1/3 cup (about 2 oz.) for each horse on maintenance.
- Feed 2/3 cup (about 4 oz.) intense loading dose for treatment of sand-clearing or ulcers for 10 to 20 days. Horses at competition, re-hab, seniors or weanlings may also benefit from the higher daily loading dose.
Chia is a natural seed, which makes it easy to top-dress with grain supplements or feed alone. Chia can store up to two years in a dry container. Be careful to avoid extreme hot or cold temperatures. Do NOT get Chia wet, unless you intentionally want to feed a moist mash. Chia absorbs up to 10x its weight in water.